Monday, October 28, 2013

Spaghetti Carbonara

Hey All!

Living in Europe has left us craving Italian, German, and all sorts of European cuisine! I am constantly trying to muster up recipes and activities to fulfill our cravings just a little longer!



One of the Husband's favorite Italian dishes is Spaghetti Carbonara. The first time I read it in the Italian menu, (in my very broken Italian) I was kind of skeptical. A mix of Italian cured ham, eggs, and pasta, was kind of throwing me for a loop. Reminded me a little bit of a breakfast dish :). But, being adventurous in the land of pasta, I decided to try it out. It was very yummy to say the least. A little on the heavy side, but so worth it! The cream sauce, egg, and pepper mixes perfectly together. Now, it would take me years and many Italian cooking classes to get the perfect pasta and sauce.

But, here's a look at an almost weekly favorite in our Casa!

First I cut the bacon into small strips and begin to fry them over medium heat in a large skillet. *Don't forget your splatter screen!



 
 
While the bacon is frying, I begin to boil the Linguine as directed on the package. While authentic Carbonara is done perfectly with homemade pasta, this will have to do :)



Once the bacon is done, I actually drain it, to remove all the grease that I can. Placing it back into the same skillet, I add the cream and salt/pepper to taste. Reduce the heat and let simmer until thickened.




 
 
 
While the cream is simmering, whisk together the eggs and parmesan cheese.
 
 




 













Once the cream sauce is thickened, add the pasta to the skillet and stir into the sauce














Make sure the pasta is completely coated in the sauce
 
 












Lastly, add in the egg and parmesan mixture to the skillet. Stir in the mixture until you see the egg begin to "scramble".
 
 
Serve immediately and top with your favorite garnish, such as parsley or red pepper for a little spice. For cheese lovers add a little extra parmesan. Don't forget your favorite bread!
 


Ingredients
8-10 Strips of thick-cut bacon
Linguine
salt and pepper to taste
1/4 cup Parmesan cheese
1 cup Heavy whipping cream
2 eggs

Serves 4
1. Cut bacon into small strips, fry over medium heat in a large skillet
2. Cook linguine as directed on the package
3. Drain the grease from the bacon once it's done. Place back in same skillet
4. Add in cream and salt/pepper to taste. Reduce heat and simmer until it thickens.
5. Drain pasta and return to pot, until cream sauce is done
6. Whisk together eggs and parmesan in small bowl
7. Add pasta to completed cream sauce, cover completely
8. Add egg and parmesan mixture, cook to "scramble"
Serve Immediately

I hope ya'll enjoy this as much as we do!
Have a great week and I will see ya'll soon!

Ciao!


 







No comments:

Post a Comment